Yes. According to random house dictionary, discrimination is defined as, "treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against a person/thing based on the group, class, or category to which a person/thing belongs rather than on individual merit." in this case, one is acting out of favor to one sex or the other. being unborn, the child doesn't really have any individual merit yet, but the parents would be denying the opportunity for him/her to find out by choosing the other sex.
I don't think that sex selection is about gender discrimination. Although it is about chosing one gender over another, i do not think that in choosing that gender you are putting down the other. Some people just always dream of raising a particular gender and are in no way discriminating against the other. Also, circumstances play a big role because maybe the choice to make a selection is based off the fact of having three girls and therfore wanting to have a different gender.
I believe that sex selection is a form of discrimination. It completely puts one sex over the other, making it seem as if one is better or more desirable. This reminds me of times when African Americans were discriminated against, and Caucasian people were thought of as 'better'. No matter how you look at it, one sex is put over another. On another note, I think a parent choosing a childs sex links into them trying to "play God" in a sense. It is almost as if they are trying to completely control who their baby is before it is even born.
I agree with Bette's arguments in that sex selection is a form of discrimination. Not only does it put one sex over the other, but sex selection gives parents too much control in "creating" their baby. Parents need to look at their baby as a gift and learn to accept and love him or her no matter what. Though Mac brings up a good point, it seems to me that everyone could misuse the system when picking the genders of their children. I see this as problematic because I can imagine societies where all families would choose to have 1 boy and 1 girl or societies where one gender dominates.
I agree with Bette and Anne Marie that sex selection is a form of gender discrimination because it is basically choosing one sex over the other. According to that article we read, most people choose to have boys over girls, which is, in a way, discriminating against girls. I don't think parents should choose their baby's gender because like Bette said, it's like they're playing God and with the reproductive technology we have today, many parents want to create the "perfect child".
I feel when parents choose they are choosing for a reason. Yes sometimes it is possible they are discriminating but it is also possible that some just aren't suited to be parents of a girl or parents of a boy. I don't believe they are trying to discriminate against a certain sex on purpose i feel parents are making the decision based on the child's best interest. I don't know about you but I for sure would not want to be stuck in a household that only wanted girls, that would suck for me as a guy. Therefore even though i believe it maybe considered discrimination I personally don't believe parents are discriminating on purpose i feel they are just picking what they feel they can be the best parents of, whether that be a boy or a girl.
Nice discussion overall though I wonder Chris, if parenting a boy is that different from parenting a girl? While I think I understand your comment, I worry about the many assumptions our society makes about particular genders. My hope would be that families would welcome the gift of a child whether that child is a boy or girl, healthy or has a disability. I also hope that our society could support us all in recognizing the beauty of that diversity and put less of an emphasis on having a "perfect family."
We take advantage of the fact that in the United States both boys and girls have a somewhat equal opportunity to be educated and succeed. In many other countries this is not the case and I believe, though personally I would not use this technology, it is a necessary moral compromise. I also believe that the original statement, "Sex selection is a form of gender discrimination," is a subjective statement that can only be supported or opposed through individual examples and by exposing the true motivations of the couple.
I think that sex selection is gender discrimination for many reasons. First, who is to say that a boy is better than a girl, or vice versa? It is not right and no one has the right to choose one over the other. Second, it is playing God in a sense because before the technology allowed for it, there was no control over what gender a person's baby would be. Why should we be allowed to choose now? Third, there really isn't a justifiable reason for choosing one gender over the other. Sure, many cultures value men over women (China) but if one is to buy into that fact and take the baby's gender into their own control, they are not living the Christian ideals set forth by the church.
Yes. According to random house dictionary, discrimination is defined as, "treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against a person/thing based on the group, class, or category to which a person/thing belongs rather than on individual merit."
ReplyDeletein this case, one is acting out of favor to one sex or the other. being unborn, the child doesn't really have any individual merit yet, but the parents would be denying the opportunity for him/her to find out by choosing the other sex.
I don't think that sex selection is about gender discrimination. Although it is about chosing one gender over another, i do not think that in choosing that gender you are putting down the other. Some people just always dream of raising a particular gender and are in no way discriminating against the other. Also, circumstances play a big role because maybe the choice to make a selection is based off the fact of having three girls and therfore wanting to have a different gender.
ReplyDeleteI believe that sex selection is a form of discrimination. It completely puts one sex over the other, making it seem as if one is better or more desirable. This reminds me of times when African Americans were discriminated against, and Caucasian people were thought of as 'better'. No matter how you look at it, one sex is put over another.
ReplyDeleteOn another note, I think a parent choosing a childs sex links into them trying to "play God" in a sense. It is almost as if they are trying to completely control who their baby is before it is even born.
I agree with Bette's arguments in that sex selection is a form of discrimination. Not only does it put one sex over the other, but sex selection gives parents too much control in "creating" their baby. Parents need to look at their baby as a gift and learn to accept and love him or her no matter what.
ReplyDeleteThough Mac brings up a good point, it seems to me that everyone could misuse the system when picking the genders of their children. I see this as problematic because I can imagine societies where all families would choose to have 1 boy and 1 girl or societies where one gender dominates.
I agree with Bette and Anne Marie that sex selection is a form of gender discrimination because it is basically choosing one sex over the other. According to that article we read, most people choose to have boys over girls, which is, in a way, discriminating against girls. I don't think parents should choose their baby's gender because like Bette said, it's like they're playing God and with the reproductive technology we have today, many parents want to create the "perfect child".
ReplyDeleteI feel when parents choose they are choosing for a reason. Yes sometimes it is possible they are discriminating but it is also possible that some just aren't suited to be parents of a girl or parents of a boy. I don't believe they are trying to discriminate against a certain sex on purpose i feel parents are making the decision based on the child's best interest. I don't know about you but I for sure would not want to be stuck in a household that only wanted girls, that would suck for me as a guy. Therefore even though i believe it maybe considered discrimination I personally don't believe parents are discriminating on purpose i feel they are just picking what they feel they can be the best parents of, whether that be a boy or a girl.
ReplyDeleteNice discussion overall though I wonder Chris, if parenting a boy is that different from parenting a girl? While I think I understand your comment, I worry about the many assumptions our society makes about particular genders. My hope would be that families would welcome the gift of a child whether that child is a boy or girl, healthy or has a disability. I also hope that our society could support us all in recognizing the beauty of that diversity and put less of an emphasis on having a "perfect family."
ReplyDeleteIs it more unethical to be able to for sure have a baby boy or kill your baby daughter?
ReplyDeletehttp://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/women_abuse/74320
We take advantage of the fact that in the United States both boys and girls have a somewhat equal opportunity to be educated and succeed. In many other countries this is not the case and I believe, though personally I would not use this technology, it is a necessary moral compromise. I also believe that the original statement, "Sex selection is a form of gender discrimination," is a subjective statement that can only be supported or opposed through individual examples and by exposing the true motivations of the couple.
I think that sex selection is gender discrimination for many reasons. First, who is to say that a boy is better than a girl, or vice versa? It is not right and no one has the right to choose one over the other. Second, it is playing God in a sense because before the technology allowed for it, there was no control over what gender a person's baby would be. Why should we be allowed to choose now? Third, there really isn't a justifiable reason for choosing one gender over the other. Sure, many cultures value men over women (China) but if one is to buy into that fact and take the baby's gender into their own control, they are not living the Christian ideals set forth by the church.
ReplyDelete