I think this is a very sad, but true statement that still holds true to this day. In society, whether it be in your community, in your high school, in your state, etc. I think that people are more comfortable with people that are similar to themselves whether it be their race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. If it something we want to change, it is going to take a lot of effort and I think a long time. One way that I think is working against that change is treating the minorities like victims. If we treat them like victims by saying stuff like, "Oh, poor them" we are still separating ourselves from them. We are creating a wider gap where we look down or them or we seem better then them because we are trying to make them have equal rights as us. Instead, I think we should say something like we need to make a difference for everyone in the community as a whole to make is more integrated so that we close that gap between whites and other people of different race.
Monday, May 31, 2010
Why so divided?
In the movie on friday we learned that if a community was predominantly white and how if an individual of African American race was to move in, most whites would begin to move out due to fear that their houses would lower in value and other reasons. Not only did they do this because of the fear that their houses would lower in value but I also think because of the idea that within our society they did not want to nor did they begin mixing their Social Locations. They were comfortable with the way their society worked and with people of their own kind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment