Friday, May 21, 2010

Topic 3: Dead Man Walking

“The director did not want the film to be labeled as anti-death penalty. That’s why we see so much about the crime in the movie. [The director] shows the horror of what Poncelet did to balance out the possible view of the prisoner as victim. I have no doubt that some people will leave the theatre saying ‘Fry ‘em’ about everyone on death row.”
(www.salon.com/06/reviews/dead3.html)

Do you agree that the film is not necessarily anti-death penalty? Does it offer a balanced portrayal? Do you understand why some people will still agree with the death penalty after viewing the movie?

6 comments:

  1. After I saw the movie for the first time, it came across as anti-death penalty. However, in retrospect, after reading this blog question, I thought of certain ways in which the director attempted to balance the pro- and anti-death penalty sentiments.
    The movie as a whole came across as anti-death penalty because it guided us through the growing relationship between the convict and the nun, showing us that although Poncelet is a Death Row inmate, he is human, and he has feelings and emotions. Another way the film seems anti-death penalty lies in the description of previous methods of execution and a detailed description of what the inmate suffers through after each lethal injection (the current method).
    However, there were several ways in which the movie seemed essentially pro-death penalty. Poncelet is portrayed as a bitter, stubborn racist throughout most of the film, which may ignite hatred towards him from viewers of minority groups, whom then may want to see him be executed at the end of the film. To continue, the story also takes us into the houses (and minds) of the families of the murdered adolescents. These families show blatant hatred towards Poncelet--one parent even wants to execute Poncelet himself. The viewers may empathize with these grieving families and want to see Poncelet executed in the end. Finally, the film portrays a seeming conflict between two Catholics: the priest, who sees Poncelet as an "animal" who deserves to be killed; and the nun, who does not want to see Poncelet killed.
    All in all, I understand why some people (including myself) are still pro-death penalty after seeing the movie. Poncelet eventually admits to killing the boy and raping the girl--he committed horrendous crimes, and his punishment must match the crimes in severity. Poncelet's execution may serve as an example towards other criminals (or future criminals), warning them of the punishment for murder, and possibly saving lives. Poncelet's acquittal from execution may serve as an opposing example: criminals may learn his story and go on with their heinous crimes, without having to fear being killed themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the film is somewhat of both, but more anti-death penalty. I agree with Raman when he said the movie appears to be anti-death penalty because it shows so much emotion and provokes sympathy for Poncelet. The plot mostly focuses on trying to gain sympathy for Poncelet as the main character, the nun, fights for his survival. However it does offer a pro-death penalty side when the movie shows the severity of the crime and how Poncelet had so much blind hatred, but in total I think the movie was anti-death penalty.
    The movie may have been sad, but it did not change my pro death penalty view, so I obviously understand why people still have that view after the movie. I personally am still for the death penalty for because of the same reasons Raman said and in general I think this movie did not accurately portray the average death row inmate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both Raman and Charlie that Dead Man Walking offers both the anti-death penalty and the pro-death penalty sides. I feel that the beginning of the movie was extremely anti-death penalty, when it was showing the relationship between Sister Helen and Matthew Poncelet. The director was showing that even criminals are people and need to be respected. However toward the end of the movie, the director seemed to be on the pro-death penalty side. He showed the brutal crimes of Matthew Poncelet. Overall, I believe that Dead Man Walking did a great job of staying in the middle of the death penalty question.
    Personally, I believe that the death penalty is fine for many of the reasons Raman mentioned. I believe that like Matthew Poncelet, death row inmate can achieve moral goodness through reconciliation and admission of their crimes. However, I do not think that many death row inmate are like Matthew Poncelet as they approach their execution. I feel that many are still bitter about the fact that they were sentenced to the death penalty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that the film does portray the death penalty equally because it shows it from both aspects. It does portray Poncelet as a victim because of the way his life is treated as totally expendable, but at the same time it shows many grusome details about the crime he committed. My initial reactions to the movie were that it was anti-death penalty because the nun takes the side of Poncelet and the movie portrays her point of view as the right one throughout the movie. Looking back on it, however, I see the different aspects that are presented by the director to try to give an unbiased viewpoint on the issue of the death penalty. I understand that many people who were pro-death penalty will still come out of the movie being pro-death penalty because the director does not actively portray the death penalty as inherently wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex makes a good point when he says that the director does not portray the death penalty as inherentely wrong. At first it seems this way because there is only a focus on Poncelet, but then the nun goes to the other families and hears their stories. If we never heard about the grievances of the families then the movie could be considered anti-death penalty. I believe that the director posed both sides to give the viewer something to think about. The director has the motive to raise awarenesss, not necessarily to attack the death penalty. If someone who is adamentely for the death penalty and watched Dead Man Walking I would not be surprised if they still were for the death penalty because the movie gives reasons to justify the killing of Poncelet. Had the movie strictly been anti death penalty then I believe many more people's stances would be changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the director of the movie portrays both sides of the death penalty well. He shows Sister Helen who is against it and her input and that gives the audience a good point on why people should be against it. But when he shows the crime and how the parents feel it makes you wonder what you would feel like in that situation and that is how I understand why people may agree with the death penalty. The director does not choose a side instead he allows the audience to offer their own opinion on whether or not the death penaly is right or wrong.

    ReplyDelete