I completely disagree with this statement for several reasons. First off, this "potential" has done nothing as embryonic stem cells have not worked even after over a decade of research. Secondly, adult stem cells seem to be giving beneficial results and cures without killing embryos. Embryonic stem cells have the potential to cure, but adult stem cells have the power to cure, so it does not make much sense to continue researching embryonic cells when so much time, money, and lives (embryos) have been wasted with no results. To me, an embryo is a life and I do not think it is ethical to trade lives for the benefit of others. In total, I think it is unethical to proceed with embryonic stem cell research for that reason: it kills lives.
I do not agree that it is required to research something that takes life away -this being embryonic stem cell research. Just because this would produce cures for various diseases does not justify the destruction of life. However, using adult stem cells should be a priority. This procedure will offer cures without destroying embryos. Additionally, the adult stem cells have a lower chance of being rejected by the body, so it is safer than using embryonic stem cells. The question is why are embryonic stem cells even being considered by the scientific community? Why not just stick with adult stem cells?
I agree with what Charlie and John have sated about how we should not just proceed with embryonic stem cell research just because it has the potential to make cures. Adult stem cells have been proven to work, and if we were able to find the way to take those adult stem cells and wipe out the DNA inside it in order to program it with whatever we needed to make different stem cells then there would be no more arguments over this issue. Since we haven't reached this point though, I think we should do everything in our power to further our research. People though don't just stick with adult stem cells because it doesn't do what that of embryonic cells have the potential to do, and that is to become any part of the body they need it to become. I think we need to continue our research and use of adult stem cells, and then if that doesn't work maybe go back to
I completely disagree with this statement for several reasons. First off, this "potential" has done nothing as embryonic stem cells have not worked even after over a decade of research. Secondly, adult stem cells seem to be giving beneficial results and cures without killing embryos. Embryonic stem cells have the potential to cure, but adult stem cells have the power to cure, so it does not make much sense to continue researching embryonic cells when so much time, money, and lives (embryos) have been wasted with no results. To me, an embryo is a life and I do not think it is ethical to trade lives for the benefit of others. In total, I think it is unethical to proceed with embryonic stem cell research for that reason: it kills lives.
ReplyDeleteI do not agree that it is required to research something that takes life away -this being embryonic stem cell research. Just because this would produce cures for various diseases does not justify the destruction of life. However, using adult stem cells should be a priority. This procedure will offer cures without destroying embryos. Additionally, the adult stem cells have a lower chance of being rejected by the body, so it is safer than using embryonic stem cells. The question is why are embryonic stem cells even being considered by the scientific community? Why not just stick with adult stem cells?
ReplyDeleteI agree with what Charlie and John have sated about how we should not just proceed with embryonic stem cell research just because it has the potential to make cures. Adult stem cells have been proven to work, and if we were able to find the way to take those adult stem cells and wipe out the DNA inside it in order to program it with whatever we needed to make different stem cells then there would be no more arguments over this issue. Since we haven't reached this point though, I think we should do everything in our power to further our research. People though don't just stick with adult stem cells because it doesn't do what that of embryonic cells have the potential to do, and that is to become any part of the body they need it to become. I think we need to continue our research and use of adult stem cells, and then if that doesn't work maybe go back to
ReplyDelete